Leading the Way in Breast Imaging
|1st||in Wake County to introduce breast-specific gamma imaging|
|1st||to provide MRI-guided breast biopsy in Wake County|
|1st||one of the 1st in the southeast to introduce 3D mammograms|
|1st||in the Triangle to be designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology|
A History of Firsts
The history of Wake Radiology is a history of firsts—firsts in Raleigh, firsts in the Triangle, firsts in the state and even firsts in the nation. Founded in 1953 by Albert M. Jenkins, MD, FACR, Wake Radiology is proud to be the oldest and largest outpatient imaging provider in the Triangle.
Our original office in Cameron Village 60 years ago was only 700 square feet and had one general purpose diagnostic X-ray machine. Raleigh had just 65,000 residents, and private radiology practices were rare in North Carolina. Ours was the first freestanding outpatient imaging and radiation therapy office in the area. The three X-ray technologists doubled as secretaries, and we saw a maximum of ten patients a day.
*Wake County **Raleigh ***Triangle
- First breast-specific gamma imaging (BSGI) in Wake County
- Opened the area’s first dedicated, comprehensive breast imaging center in Cary
- First outpatient provider in the Triangle to earn the American College of Radiology’s prestigious Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) designation
- First multi-site provider in the nation — and the only one in the Triangle — to be certified by the International Society of Clinical Densitometry (ISCD) for bone densitometry
- Opened the region’s only freestanding Positron Emission Tomography-Computed Tomography (PET-CT) facility through a joint venture with WakeMed
- Introduced first dedicated outpatient pediatric imaging services in Wake County, offering X-ray, ultrasound, fluoroscopy and nuclear medicine