Did You Know?
Wake Radiology is the Triangle leader in 3D mammography. Wake Radiology offers 3D mammography in multiple locations: Cary, Raleigh, Garner, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Smithfield and Fuquay-Varina. Schedule your appointment! Learn more.
Varicose & Spider Vein Symptoms
Spider veins rarely pose a serious health problem, but they can be painful and cause uncomfortable feelings like itching or burning. They can also be an indication that varicose veins will develop. How do you know if you have developed varicose veins? Common symptoms for varicose veins include:
- Aching pain that may get worse after a long period of sitting or standing
- Throbbing or cramping
- Heavy legs or excessive swelling
- Rash that’s itchy or irritated
- Restless legs
- Leg ulcers in extreme cases
- Darkening of the skin (in severe cases)
Varicose veins are often associated with aching pain, throbbing, and discomfort. They can also lead to more serious health problems, including:
- Sores or skin ulcers due to a long-term backup of blood in a centralized area. These sores or ulcers are painful and hard to heal. Sometimes they cannot heal until the backward blood flow in the vein is alleviated.
- Excessive bleeding can occur when the skin over the veins becomes thin and easily injured.
- A superficial thrombophlebitis can form. This is a blood clot in a vein just below the skin. Symptoms include skin redness, a firm, tender and warm vein as well as pain and swelling.
Schedule a Raleigh Vein Consultation Today
If you experience any of these varicose vein symptoms, you should consider a vein consultation at Wake Radiology:
- Your leg symptoms and pain interfere with your daily activities.
- The appearance of the veins causes you distress.
- The vein has become swollen, red, very tender or warm to the touch.
- There are sores or a rash on the leg or near the ankle.
- The skin on the ankle and calf becomes thick and changes color.
- One of the varicose veins begins to bleed.
If you’re having pain, even just a dull ache, or any of the following varicose vein symptoms in Raleigh, don’t hesitate to contact us and request a consultation with Wake Radiology. If immediate steps to treat the veins are unnecessary, our sub-specialty trained physicians can explain how you can prevent them from getting worse.