West Raleigh Office
We are seeking a certified medical sonographer to perform patient ultrasound procedures in our diagnostic imaging centers. This technologist will serve our Raleigh office. This healthcare professional must follow all safety protocols and provide assistance to our radiologists and referring providers.
Major Position Functions
- Interview patient to explain ultrasound procedures and to request important patient medical information which could limit the procedure.
- Position patients on examining bed in adherence with protocols.
- Enters patient data, anatomical area to be scanned, into the computer.
- Communicate to the patient throughout the procedure to ensure patient comfort and safety.
- Keys commands to specify scans, measurements, and download of images into the computer.
- Views images of area being scanned on computer screen to ensure quality of images.
- Responsible for properly printing, labeling and displaying images for the Radiologist to view.
- Accompany Radiologist when speaking with patients and assist Radiologist when needed.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Minimize non-productive time and fill slow periods with activities that will enable you to prepare to meet the future needs of Wake Radiology UNC REX (education, organizing, housekeeping, assisting others).
- Organize job functions and work area to be able to effectively complete varied assignments within established time frames.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to take the initiative to make decisions/choices without constant direct supervision.
Knowledge, Competencies and Abilities
- Ability to meet and perform quality control checks and maintain quality control logs and service records for the department.
- Ability to complete patient data and summarize exam findings in a digital format system.
- Thorough understanding of the equipment and procedures, and proper practices for equipment use.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and ensure safety of all staff members and patients at all times.
- Maintains professional relationship with patients and co-workers at all times.
Personal Skills and Aptitudes
- Assist patients, family members or other clients with concern and empathy; respect their confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Identify yourself in a pleasant and positive manner.
- Take responsibility for helping the client throughout the procedure.
- Assist in the orientation/training of new ultrasound technologist.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow Team Members.
- Assist other team members in the performance of their assignments, seeking out opportunities to help rather than waiting to be asked.
- Consider the impact of your actions on team members throughout Wake Radiology UNC REX.
- Demonstrate flexibility to perform duties wherever volume deems it necessary.
- Demonstrate sound judgment by taking appropriate actions regarding questionable findings or concerns.
- Investigate and follow through on unusual orders or requests for service or information.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for actual or potential accidents and/or incidents so follow-up and/or prevention can occur.
- Record/report the need for service maintenance or repair of equipment and remove any faulty equipment from service.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
Physical Demands and Activities
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting.
- Intermittent ability to lift and/or move pediatric and adult patients including, heavy, acute and chronically ill.
- Intermittent ability to move and/or push stretchers and wheelchairs.
- Frequent repetitive wrist and hand motion and manipulation of fine motor skills
- Ability to stoop, bend and maintain stationary positions for extended periods of time. Ability to move arms above head.
- Ability to move, push or lift heavy equipment.
- Visual and auditory acuity.
- Incumbent may be exposed to virus, disease and infection from patients in working environment
- Incumbent may be required to work at other Wake Radiology UNC REX locations and will be responsible for own transportation
- Degree or Certification from an Accredited Medical Sonography program
- Current ultrasound registration
- Applicant will be required to complete CPR training or present current active CPR certificate
- Applicant will be required to complete OSHA training as designated by employer.
- Knowledge and understanding of general anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate with patients and co-workers.
- Ability to stand, sit, kneel, walk and crouch.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 75lbs.
- Proficiency with most major ultrasound equipment hardware and software.