West Raleigh Office
Nuclear medicine technologists will use safe and painless techniques to image the body and treat disease. To interface and provide assistance to the staff of doctors.
Major Position Functions
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Interview patient to explain nuclear medicine procedures and to request important patient medical information which could limit the procedure.
- Prepare and administer radioactive chemical compounds, known as radiopharmaceuticals
- Perform patient imaging procedures using sophisticated radiation-detecting instrumentation, Positron Emission Tomography equipment
- Accomplish computer processing and image enhancement
- Analyze biologic specimens in the laboratory
- Provide images, data analysis, and patient information to the physician for diagnostic interpretation.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to take the initiative to make decisions/choices without constant direct supervision.
Knowledge, Competencies and Abilities
- Ability to meet and perform quality control checks and maintain quality control logs and service records for the department.
- Ability to create patient charts and communicate with patients.
- Thorough understanding of the equipment and procedures, and proper practices for equipment use.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and ensure safety of all staff members and patients at all times.
- Maintains professional relationship with patients and co-workers at all times.
Personal Skills and Aptitudes
- Assist patients, family members or other clients with concern and empathy; respect their confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Identify yourself in a pleasant and positive manner.
- Take responsibility for helping the client throughout the procedure.
- Assist in the orientation/training of new nuclear medicine technologist.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow team members.
- Assist other team members in the performance of their assignments, seeking out opportunities to help rather than waiting to be asked.
- Consider the impact of your actions on team members throughout Wake Radiology.
- Demonstrate flexibility to perform duties wherever volume deems it necessary.
- Demonstrate sound judgment by taking appropriate actions regarding questionable findings or concerns.
- Investigate and follow through on unusual orders or requests for service or information.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for actual or potential accidents and/or incidents so follow-up and/or prevention can occur.
- Record/report the need for service maintenance or repair of equipment and remove any faulty equipment from service.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
Physical Demands and Activities
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting.
- Intermittent ability to lift and/or move pediatric and adult patients including, heavy, acute and chronically ill.
- Intermittent ability to move and/or push stretchers and wheelchairs.
- Frequent repetitive wrist and hand motion and manipulation of fine motor skills
- Ability to stoop, bend and maintain stationary positions for extended periods of time. Ability to move arms above head.
- Ability to move, push or lift heavy equipment.
- Visual and auditory acuity.
- Incumbent will be exposed to virus, disease and infection from patients in working environment
- Incumbent will be required to work at any facility and be responsible for own transportation
- Associate or two-year degree in radiography and certificate in nuclear medicine, advance training in Positron Emission Tomography
- Current ARRT registration and current nuclear medicine registration (or ability to receive nuclear medicine registration.)
- Current CPR certificate and ability to complete OSHA training.
- Knowledge and understanding of general anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate with patients and co-workers.
- Ability to stand, sit, kneel, walk and crouch.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 75lbs.
- Proficiency with most major ultrasound equipment hardware and software.
- Experience and/or training preferred.