THE BIG PICTURECohesive and effective approach to the diagnosis of breast cancer.
Did you know that Wake Radiology offers the Genius ™ 3D Mammography ™ exams, the only mammogram proven to detect breast cancer 15 months earlier, reduce unnecessary callbacks by up to 40% and find 41% more invasive cancers than conventional mammography alone. Get the facts and download the brochures here:
Leading the Way in Breast Imaging
|1st||in Wake County to introduce breast-specific gamma imaging|
|1st||to provide MRI-guided breast biopsy in Wake County|
|1st||one of the 1st in the southeast to introduce 3D mammograms|
|1st||in the Triangle to be designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology|
NCI Breast Cancer Risk Calculator
Calculate your risk of breast cancer through the National Cancer Institute.
Breast Exams and Mammography Screening
Wake Radiology provides a full range of comprehensive breast exams in Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill and the surrounding Triangle area. Our breast imaging radiologists and technologists understand the importance that dedication, compassion and expertise play in building a cohesive and effective approach to the diagnosis of breast cancer. We are devoted to maintaining excellence across a comprehensive set of breast imaging methods, following best practices and going above and beyond what any other local provider does. Wake Radiology is focused on providing the most specific answers possible to women and their referring providers.
Comprehensive breast exams
The unique breadth and depth of Wake Radiology’s breast imaging expertise allows us to offer a full spectrum of breast imaging services, from conventional 2D and 3D mammography, breast ultrasound and Breast MRI to three types of image-guided breast biopsy. All breast images are taken by certified technologists and interpreted by board certified radiologists. In fact, Wake Radiology has established a team of physicians who have expertise in mammography.
- Digital screening mammography (conventional 2D and new 3D)
- Digital diagnostic mammography
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
- Breast biopsy (stereotactic, ultrasound-guided and MRI-guided)
The latest in breast exams: 3D mammography
Take your annual screening mammograms to the next level with Tomosynthesis or 3D Mammography, the biggest breakthrough in breast imaging in 25 years. 3D technology allows our breast imaging radiologist to view breast tissue more clearly, increasing our chance of catching cancers even smaller than before.
Due to our efficient workflow processes, a screening 3D mammogram takes less than 30 minutes from check-in to exam completion. And, to make this important screening more convenient many of our offices are open on evenings and Saturdays, same-day appointments are available and walk-ins are welcome at many locations. While patients must have seen a primary care doctor in the past 18 months, a signed physician referral is not required for this annual exam.
Introducing 3D mammograms
Wake Radiology offers Hologic Genius™ 3D mammography (Tomosynthesis) at most Triangle area locations! 3D mammography is a revolutionary new screening and diagnostic tool designed for early breast cancer detection. We believe this is the most exciting breast imaging breakthrough in nearly 20 years.
3D mammography is performed in conjunction with a traditional 2D digital mammogram to create a more complete picture of breast tissue. During the 3D part of the exam, the X-ray arm sweeps in a slight arc over the breast, taking multiple images. A computer then uses these images to produce a layered 3D image of the breast tissue. This provides greater detail and allows the radiologist to see “inside” the breast layer by layer to find cancers earlier than ever. The main benefits are:
- Greater accuracy for earlier and easier detection. With conventional mammography the radiologist views the breast tissue in a flat image. Sometimes breast tissue appears overlapped, making it difficult to see all the individual structures and making normal breast tissue look abnormal. 3D mammography virtually eliminates these challenges and allows the radiologist to better see the different structures as well as the location, size and shape of any abnormal tissue, such as smaller, more invasive cancers. 3D mammography has been shown to improve breast cancer detection by 27%-50%.
- Fewer call backs. In the past, if the radiologist saw an area that was questionable, the patient would be asked to return for additional imaging. Now, when the breast tissue can be seen in smaller, thinner sections, the “second look” is frequently unnecessary. 3D mammography has been shown to lower recall rates by 17%-40%.
Wake Radiology breast imaging radiologists believe that all patients will benefit from this revolutionary technology regardless of breast density, family history or personal history of breast cancer. Patients can learn more about 3D mammography by viewing this video, and can read the Frequently Asked Questions about having a 3D mammogram performed at Wake Radiology.
The screening mammogram will be filed to your insurance plan in two parts: The 2D mammogram procedure you’re familiar with plus an additional 3D mammogram (digital breast tomosynthesis) procedure. Although many have begun to cover the service, some insurers will not cover the 3D mammogram charge because the technology is newer. Medicare patients won’t have an out of pocket expense with a screening 3D mammogram as Medicare began covering the service in 2015. If your insurance plan does not pay for the 3D portion of your mammogram, you will receive a bill from Wake Radiology. You should check with your insurance plan, but please don’t let the cost of the 3D mammogram keep you from choosing this breakthrough technology. Wake Radiology regularly provides payment plans to help patients manage the costs of care, including 3D mammography. We are happy to extend payments over time (without interest or additional fees) to assist you
Evening, Saturday and same-day appointments are available, plus walk-ins are welcome. While patients must have seen a primary care doctor in the past 18 months, a signed physician referral is not required for this annual exam. Patients can schedule their annual screening by calling us or submitting an appointment request online. Learn more
Accredited facilities conveniently located throughout Triangle
Wake Radiology offers breast imaging services at many Triangle locations, and all services are interpreted by board certified radiologists, many of who are dedicated to breast imaging. All of the offices are accredited by the American College of Radiology and have earned the ACR’s highest recognition as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE). 3D mammography is available at most Wake Radiology Triangle locations!
- Wake Radiology North Hills Breast Center – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Cary Breast Center – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Chapel Hill – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Fuquay-Varina – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Garner – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Smithfield – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology West Raleigh Mammography – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Morrisville Women’s Imaging – 3D Available!
- Wake Radiology Wake Forest Mammography – 3D Available!
Download our office hours and locations!